News News Receive email alerts News Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom Bolivian journalist hounded after accusing boss of sexual harassment News BoliviaAmericas to go further BoliviaAmericas February 1, 2018 Find out more November 15, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalists’ unions still protest at dangers in anti-racism law RSF_en June 12, 2020 Find out more Organisation November 18, 2016 Find out more Bolivian journalists’ union today completed collecting signatures for a major petition urging parliament to amend a new law against racism and all forms of discrimination enacted on 8 October because of the threat it poses to news media.Two articles in the new legislation (number 045) have created suspicion and concern within the profession. By 7 November 2010 the petition had already attracted some 700,000 signatures, the organisers said.The government has stepped up consultation with civil society to regulate the law but most professional bodies decided not to take part. A media observatory has been specially created to follow any complaints made against journalists or media under the new law.Reporters Without Borders has never objected to the general principle of a law which is justified by the recent political context. Nevertheless, we have suggested amendments to remedy any ambiguity in its application, particularly under Article 16 by which a media could be banned for “authorising or publishing racist and discriminatory ideas”. We proposed that this punishment should be applied to “media that explicitly defend racism and discrimination”. The World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) has expressed the same view. Government talks set up on regulating the law are in themselves positive. Unfortunately, we find that the new legislation is already been applied without its controversial wording first being clarified. Our fears are being confirmed with cases currently under way. A badly drawn up and badly applied law could fail in its purpose and end up losing all legitimacy. A first case, reported in Potosí, in south-western Bolivia involves proceedings launched by the former secretary of the peasants’ federation against José Luis Apacani, the presenter of the TV programme “El Variadito” on privately-owned Canal 33. During the live broadcast, a spectator called the plaintiff “llama face” (a racist term used against the indigenous people of Altiplano). The channel’s managers decided to take the programme off air. “It was a case of negligence on the part of the journalist. We told him not to take telephone calls but he disobeyed”, they said.This case illustrates the problems created by the terms of the law on the responsibility of media. In this case, Canal 33 and it presenter did not call for racism, even if the comments of a viewer were reprehensible. The legal confusion could end in self-censorship.In a second case, local councillors in Oruro region announced they were bringing a complaint against the daily La Patria, which in an article on 9 September, referred to them as “concejiles” (little councillors) instead of “concejales”, a term that they considered to be “discriminatory”. In this case the offence seems to have even shakier grounds and also raises the problem of retroactivity of a law, which should normally only be applied to cases following its promulgation. (Photo : La Prensa) Editor still unable to return to Bolivia after six months in exile Follow the news on Bolivia Help by sharing this information
RSF_en RomaniaEurope – Central Asia News to go further Organisation May 26, 2021 Find out more Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union Receive email alerts Follow the news on Romania Help by sharing this information March 15, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Improper behaviour towards a journalist by MEP George Becali News News News Reporters Without Borders and its partner organisation in Romania, the Active Watch -Media Monitoring Agency, are outraged by the vulgar and obscene comments that George Becali, a Member of the European Parliament (MEP), made to Cornelia Popescu of the online newspaper ZIUA Veche on 10 March when she asked him about contradictions between the declarations of financial interests he made to the European parliament and subsequent declarations.“We are stunned by Becali’s offensive comments,” the two organisations said. “It is unacceptable that an MEP should insult Popescu in such a virulent and deranged manner. Politicians seem to be losing their self-control in their statements with increasing frequency, forgetting the moral obligations that go with public office and a state salary.”The two organisations added: “The declarations of financial interests made by MEPs are not only obligatory but also of public direct interest. Journalists have a duty to pose questions about these declarations and MEPs must respond in detail. The insaneness of Becali’s comments fails to conceal his desire to avoid this subject. The exact nature of his financial interests and possessions still needs to be explained.”Becali unfortunately has a habit of behaving in a curse and aggressive manner towards journalists. He insulted and threatened journalist Cristian Tudor Popescu in a café in February 2002 after Popescu wrote an article in the daily Adevarul about a controversial exchange of land with the Romanian army.He and his bodyguards insulted and hit Malonga Parfait, the host of ProTV’s sports programme Fotbal Max, on 3 November 2001 after Parfait referred to him on the air in connection with his ownership of the Steaua Bucharest football team. During the attack on Parfait, Becali said he could not allow himself to be mocked by a person of African origin.After Steaua Bucharest lost a UEFA Cup semi-final against Middlesbrough on 30 April 2006, Becali ordered his bodyguards to remove journalist Ana Maria Neagu of TV Realitatea from his sight when she asked him if he was still proud of his players. One of the bodyguards insulted her and hit her on the leg. Romania: In an open letter, RSF and ActiveWatch denounce judicial pressures on investigative journalists following a complaint from a Bucharest district mayor December 2, 2020 Find out more RomaniaEurope – Central Asia RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive November 23, 2020 Find out more
West Virginia University School of Nursing Family & CommunityHealth Department located at Morgantown, WV, invites applicationsfor an Instructor/Assistant Professor in Clinical Track(non-tenure). This is a full-time, nine (9) month,benefits-eligible position. This position will report to thedepartment chairperson.Responsibilities include but not limited to: Master’s degree (MSN) in nursing and one (1) year ofprofessional nursing practice experience or Bachelor’s degree (BSN)with ten (10) years of experience.Evidence of current experience in Psych Mental Health NursingPractice sufficient to demonstrate professional competence.Applicants with two (2) years of teaching experience in nursingare encouraged to apply.Required to have unencumbered WV RN License by position startdate. Rank and salary commensurate with education, professionalbackground, and experience.Qualifications : Clinical teaching in the BSN programs. In addition to clinicalteaching, other formats of teaching, including traditionalclassroom instruction, skills lab, small group, and simulationteaching may be included.Advising students in the BSN program.Initial appointment requires: one year of professional nursingpractice experience. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue untilthe position is filled. Electronic submission of application withcurrent vitae, and contact information for three professionalreferences can be made at: https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=12077.West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunityemployer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for genderequity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,and students, and invites applications from all qualifiedapplicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, genderidentity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,disability, or Veteran status.
May 22, 2019 Jobs That Pay, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf announced the approval of new funding for the Berks Career and Technology Center (BCTC) to support the last phase of a new welding facility that will serve 16 public school districts, private schools, residents, and businesses in the Berks County area. The grant will come from Governor Wolf’s Manufacturing PA initiative.“This Training-to-Career grant will enable Berks Career and Technology Center to significantly expand manufacturing training and job opportunities for Berks County residents,” Governor Wolf said. “We commend BCTC’s work to help Pennsylvania build the strongest workforce in the nation and reaffirm our commitment to our commonwealth’s manufacturing industry.”The grant will provide $200,000 to BCTC for the purchase of new welding equipment, and to hire a welding instructor and an outreach coordinator. BCTC is expanding its current welding facility to bring new opportunities to train students with advanced equipment and additional learning experiences. The expansion will enable BCTC to increase the welding class size from 25 to 40 students, for both morning and afternoon instruction. The new facility is set to open in 2020.“Berks Career and Technology Center is thrilled to be a recipient of the Training-to-Career grant,” said John Reedy, director of Business Affairs and Continuing Education at BCTC. “This grant will support our goals to continue building the number of skilled manufacturing workers in the area, supporting existing manufactures in Berks County, and providing an advantage for advanced manufacturing firms to consider locating in Berks. We appreciate Governor Wolf’s support and his commitment to the manufacturing industry.”The Pennsylvania Manufacturing Training-to-Career grant is designed to provide funding for training programs to help unemployed and underemployed individuals, as well as those with barriers, to gain the skills they need to gain employment in the manufacturing sector. Eligible applicants include technical and trade schools, universities, and nonprofit organizations that develop new and innovative training programs and partner with two or more manufacturers.The Training-to-Career grant is part of Governor Wolf’s Manufacturing PA initiative that was launched in October 2017. This initiative ensures that training leads not simply to any job, but to careers that provide higher pay and opportunities for advancement. Working with DCED’s strategic partners, including Industrial Resource Centers (IRCs), Pennsylvania’s colleges, universities, technical schools, and non-profit organizations, this initiative fosters collaboration and partnerships to accelerate technology advancement, encourage innovation and commercialization, and build a 21st century workforce.In the 2019-2020 Executive Budget, Governor Wolf proposed the new Statewide Workforce, Education, and Accountability Program (SWEAP) to provide workforce development opportunities for Pennsylvanians from birth to retirement. SWEAP will expand access to early childhood education, increase investments in schools and educators, and further partner with the private sector to build on the PAsmart initiative. Through SWEAP and PAsmart, the governor is calling for an additional $4 million to help Pennsylvania manufacturers train workers and $6 million to expand career and technical education for adults.For more information about the Wolf Administration’s commitment to manufacturing, visit the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) website or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube. Governor Wolf Announces New Funding to Expand Manufacturing Training in the Berks Region SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditDETROIT (AP) — A person with direct knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that Pistons forward Christian Wood has contracted the virus and is feeling fine. The team confirmed it had a player who tested positive without revealing his name. Wood’s diagnosis was revealed one week after he played against the Utah Jazz, spending much of that night matched up with Rudy Gobert (goh-BEHR’). The NBA opted to suspend its season Wednesday, immediately after Gobert became the first league player to test positive.TOKYO (AP) — Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (shin-zoh AH’-bay) says his country still intends to host the Olympic Games in Tokyo as planned. He says the virus outbreak hasn’t reached a point in Japan that requires him to declare a national emergency like the United States and parts of Europe. Abe says Japan is continuing to “coordinate well” with the International Olympic Committee. President Donald Trump suggested this week that Japan should consider postponing the Olympics, which are scheduled to open July 24.UNDATED (AP) — The Pac-12 Conference has canceled all spring sports and championships following a meeting of conference executives and athletic directors. The conference also announced that all organized team activities are not allowed until at least March 29, when that decision will be revisited. The smaller Southland Conference also announced a similar move. Pistons player tests positive for coronavirus…Abe says Games will go on…Pac-12 postponements March 15, 2020 WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Nationals have released relief pitcher Hunter Strickland in a series of moves by the reigning World Series champs. Strickland was expected to stabilize Washington’s bullpen after being acquired from Seattle at the July 31 trade deadline last season, but he recorded a 5.14 ERA in 21 innings over 24 appearances for the Nationals. He didn’t pitch for the Nats during the postseason.NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (AP) — Rick Pitino is the new head basketball coach at Iona, replacing Tim Cluess. Pitino was the first coach to take three different schools to the NCAA Final Four, doing it with Louisville, Kentucky and Providence. He won national championships with the 2013 Cardinals and 1996 Wildcats, although his Louisville title was vacated over NCAA violations involving the team’s director of basketball operations. The 67-year-old Pitino has a 770-271 overall record in college.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6
Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher after AD’s departure: ‘I plan on being here a long time’ Wade agreed to give up the bonuses but has denied any recruiting violations and has since been reinstated to his job.However, a condition he agreed to is that LSU can fire him for cause and without penalty if he is found guilty of any recruiting violations. Related News Wade makes $2.5 million annually and has his contract built in such a way that he earns a $50,000 bonus for winning the Southeastern Conference regular season title and $100,000 each NCAA round the Tigers advance in.Since LSU won the SEC title and made it to the Round of 16, he should have earned $250,000.Wade was reinstated April 14 after a leaked wiretap caught him allegedly talking about a “strong-a— offer” he made to a recruit.Wade was discussing the situation with Christian Dawkins, who was sentenced earlier this week for his role as a “recruit runner” for an agent in the FBI’s probe of NCAA’s pay-for-play scandal.Wade seemed frustrated on the call, saying that a third party associated with the recruit had yet to accept his “offer.” Wade said he thought the commitment wasn’t coming through because the third party wasn’t getting “enough piece of the pie in the deal.” Will Wade’s suspension during LSU’s run to and through the NCAA Tournament is coming back to haunt him, financially.The Tigers coach forfeited $250,000 in bonuses as the FBI investigates whether he was involved in any wrongdoing tied to alleged pay-to-play schemes involving student-athletes to play at LSU, The Associated Press reported. Five-star 2020 prospect Johnny Juzang reclassifying to 2019 LSU reinstates head basketball coach Will Wade Originally, Wade said he was going to wait for the FBI probe to conclude before he met with LSU officials. However, the two sides met April 12, with his reinstatement coming two days later.New LSU athletic director Scott Woodward, who replaced former AD Joe Alleva last week, said Tuesday that “Coach Wade is LSU’s coach, and he will have my 100 percent support.”He had been subpoenaed to testify about the alleged widespread recruiting scandal, along with Arizona coach Sean Miller, but later Judge Edgardo Ramos ruled that neither man will have to testify.