He is entering the final year of his rookie contract after being selected by New Orleans in the fourth round of the 2016 draft.Onyemata ran into trouble at the beginning of the year after police searched his apartment Jan. 29 and found marijuana, cannabis oil, marijuana edibles and hemp powder. Saints’ DT David Onyemata is being suspended one game for violating the NFL’s substances of abuse policy.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 28, 2019It’s yet another blow to New Orleans’ defense, which will be without Sheldon Rankins as he recovers from a torn Achilles.Onyemata is coming off a career year after his fourth season with the team. He recorded 35 tackles and a career high 4 1/2 sacks after appearing in all 16 regular season games and two playoff games. Related News The Saints will be without David Onyemata to start the 2019 season.The defense tackle got handed a one-game suspension from the NFL for violating the league’s substances of abuse policy, ESPN reported Friday. Saints running back Alvin Kamara: ‘I’m in the top percentile right now’ Teddy Bridgewater: Joining Saints ‘best opportunity for me to grow as a player’ Saints offering $18M per year, Michael Thomas wants $22M, report says According to the New Orleans Advocate, which cited the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, Onyemata was given a misdemeanor citation that accuses him of possessing marijuana in his apartment.Since then, coach Sean Payton has said the 26-year-old is doing well in the team’s offseason program.
The app was downloaded by 270,000 people, but also scooped up their friends’ data without consent — as was possible under Facebook’s rules at the time.Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg apologised Wednesday for a “major breach of trust” and admitted the group must do better.The Gold Coast backdown also followed outrage from the Queensland Council for Civil Liberties, which said privacy laws prohibited any data collection unless it was necessary for council purposes.Its president Michael Cope said while the council may have claimed it was simply for tourism purposes, depending on the Facebook privacy settings of those using the wifi, the council could collect a lot of other information.“The data that might be collected by council, depending on a person’s Facebook privacy settings, would include how many friends they have, who their friends are, what they’ve liked on Facebook and their photos,” he said.In a statement to AFP, the council earlier said the purpose was simply to “gather publicly available information about age, gender and nationality for the purpose of monitoring the use patterns”.It said it never planned to mine or store any private data.The Games run from April 4 to 15, with thousands of athletes, support staff and fans due to attend.Share on: WhatsApp Sydney, Australia | AFP | A plan to mine data from Commonwealth Games visitors who use free and fast wifi in Australia was abandoned Thursday as a privacy scandal swirls around social media giant Facebook.The local Gold Coast council is offering a service up to 10 times normal speed after laying new fibre cables to coincide with the multi-sport event next month, which is contested between nations that are members of the Commonwealth.But there was a catch.To use it, they wanted people to log on through a Facebook account, allowing the council to capture data, which it said would be used to help shape future tourism marketing campaigns.But authorities had a re-think after Facebook became embroiled in a snowballing scandal over the hijacking of personal data from millions of its users.Gold Coast councillor Hermann Vorster said the wifi feature would be amended to allow users to access it without having to log in through the social media platform.“Only today, the Facebook CEO has confirmed that he is investigating privacy issues to do with Facebook and how it manages people’s privacy,” he said in a statement.“So if Facebook cannot guarantee the security of its users, it is best council takes a cautionary approach and removes this feature from our free wifi. That is what we are doing right now.”The Facebook saga erupted when a whistleblower revealed that British data consultant Cambridge Analytica had created psychological profiles on 50 million users via a personality prediction app.
Joe Paterno is dead and so is what was left of his good name, shredded to pieces by investigators who didn’t seem terribly impressed by anything the coach once did on Saturday afternoons.Jerry Sandusky will spend what is left of the rest of his life in prison, paying for crimes so despicable they are hard to even comprehend. Some former Penn State administrators could be heading there, too. After Louis Freeh’s damning report, they might want to think twice about taking their chances before a jury of their peers.The cult allowed to fester at State College has been exposed, with a once-proud university looking like a backwater institution where worshipping at the statue of Joe was more important than protecting young boys exposed to horrors that will haunt them the rest of their lives.Paterno’s family can protest all it wants, but there is no way to spin this: He hurt a place where his word was gospel, and it may be decades before anyone outside Pennsylvania hears the words “Penn State” and doesn’t immediately think of naked boys being abused in the same showers used by the young men who brought the university glory on the football field.His name has already come off a Nike child care center in Oregon. His statue outside Beaver Stadium should come down next.Unfortunately, it’s not enough. Nothing may ever be enough to make up for what is arguably the worst scandal to hit college athletics. There is no way to turn back the clock, no way to give back to the victims, now grown men, who testified against Sandusky the childhood innocence they lost forever.There are, however, ways to make sure the culture that enabled Sandusky never takes root on any college campus again; ways to help re-establish some moral authority in college sports; ways to make sure no university janitor is ever afraid again to report a terrible crime because he fears losing his job.Yes, Penn State has already paid dearly, its pristine reputation damaged beyond repair. “Winning with honor,” a motto made famous by Paterno, is worth a wince and a cringe. The school will also surely pay from the pocketbook, with untold millions going to victims in civil suits.The almighty football program at the center of all this must pay, too. It must or else we have learned nothing from this sordid mess.Don’t wait for the school to impose some voluntary sanctions on itself. It won’t happen. No one at Penn State has the guts to do it.That leaves you, NCAA. You must act. Now.No more excuses. No more using semantics to try to dance around the responsibility of policing the seamy side of college athletics.The independent investigation is complete, and it’s a safe bet it’s far more thorough than anything the NCAA could have produced. Freeh, the former FBI director, laid it all out in a 267-page report that concluded Paterno and three former administrators conspired to conceal Sandusky’s sexual attacks on children to avoid damage to the reputation of the university and its vaunted football program.Penn State football deserves to survive, though barely. The NCAA can’t give it the so-called “death penalty” anyway, because it applies only to schools that commit a major violation while on probation. Aside from that, there’s no punishment too severe for the Cowardly Lions.If Ohio State gets a one-year bowl ban for players selling jerseys, what should Penn State get for selling out a whole community? If Reggie Bush cost Southern California a four-year probation for accepting cash and cars, what should Penn State get for letting a child molester use its locker rooms for his perverse fantasies?The NCAA rulebook never contemplated this kind of thing, but that’s of no real importance. NCAA President Mark Emmert told the university in November that a failure to exhibit moral values or a pattern of “deceitful and dishonest behavior” could be cause for action by itself.Moral values went out the window when Paterno and campus officials made no move to keep Sandusky off campus in 1998 after a woman complained her child had showered with the then-assistant coach. The pattern of deceit and dishonesty followed when no one turned Sandusky over to the police after he was seen sexually abusing a boy in the showers in the football locker room.An NCAA official gave the usual bureaucratic response after the report was released, saying it needs to hear Penn State’s response to some questions before the agency can proceed. Given the devastating conclusions drawn by the Freeh report, the university might as well leave its response blank. There’s no defense.NCAA—here’s a suggestion for punishment: Give Penn State a year’s probation and bowl ban for every year Sandusky ran amok at State College since 1998, until he was arrested last year. That’s a staggering 13 years, a penalty that would gut the football program much as Sandusky gutted the lives of those young boys.They never got a second chance, but the NCAA can still take the high road and give Penn State one. Shave a year off the penalty for every year the university demonstrates it is moving forward and has control of the program. Throw in a bonus year if everything symbolic of the cult of Joe is removed from campus once and for all.Six years from now, declare it a new day and let Penn State football emerge for a new era.No, it’s not fair to the players currently enrolled. It’s not terribly fair, either, to new coach Bill O’Brien, though he had to know when signing his deal that a day of reckoning would come. And it’s certainly not fair to Penn State fans, whose only crime was believing all that was St. Joe.Remember this NCAA: There was nothing fair at all about what was done to those young boys, either.This one is so simple. There is no other choice. Gut the program. Doing anything less will strip the organization of the last bit of credibility it has as the watchdog of college athletics.(Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at tdahlberg(at)ap.org or http://twitter.com/timdahlberg.)
Two L.V. Rogers runners — Rachel Mackenzie and Micah May — took home the top prize at the opening race of the West Kootenay High School Cross country running season Wednesday in Kaslo.Mackenzie finished the River Run course in a time of 18 minutes, 43 seconds to capture the Senior Girls race.Mackenzie edged Taylor Wilson of J.V. Humphries in Kaslo by just under a minute.Third was Hailee Gerun of LVR.Mia Ida of Trafalgar was fourth followed by Ellie Hewat of Kaslo.May, meanwhile, led a strong LVR contingent to claim the Senior Boys race in a time of 18:57.LVR boys took the top seven spots in the race.The tour shifts to Rossland Wednesday (September 26) for the second stop of the season at the Blackjack Trails.The Kootenay Kramp hosted by LVR is October 3.The West Kootenay Championships will be held at Camp Busk Trails south of Nelson October 17.The Kootenay championships follow the next week before the top runners travel to Prince George to compete in the provincials. Kaslo River Run 2012 ResultsSenior GirlsRachel Mackenzie LVR 18:43Taylor Wilson JVH 19:19Hailee Gerun LVR 21:18Mia Ida Traf 21:27Ellie Hewat JVHMaddy Murphy LVROlivia Sapriken Mt. SentCarilia Horning LVRLynnea Sharelove LVRRebecca Bracewell LVR Jade Bridger LVRChiara Chirico LVRBayley Meisner TrafJoy Motzkus LVRKano Major LVRClaire Young LVRMia Kraus LVRSenior BoysMicah May LVR 18:57Trace Cooke LVR 19:41Walker Dempster LVR 19:51Levi Smith LVR 20:27Cail Spencer LVR 20:38Owen Thurston LVR 20:48Galen Boulanger LVR 21:08Eli Bukowski JVH 21:33Klaten Jackson JVH 21:35Digby Benner LVR 21:37Finn Elliot LVR 21:42Conrad Watt JVH 21:43Levi Stubbe Mt. SentJaiden Martinson LVRRaven Truth LVRNoah Butterfield TrafKaden Foy LVRSam Kuch LVRDale Cushway LVRThiabald Engelbrecht LVR